548 Minnie Street was built in 1949. The warehouse is occupied by the Load King Manufacturing Company.
1223 West Church Street was completed as a rag warehouse for the S. Gartner Company in 1952.
This West Church Street structure was used as a Buick Motor Company warehouse during the 1920s. The Cohen Brothers department store would later use the building as a warehouse for its retail chain.
In 1936, the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company commissioned famed Jacksonville architect, Henry J.Klutho, to design a new 36,000 square foot warehouse and office. Klutho’s design included centralized areas within the warehouse’s footprint for trucks and railcars to enter the building. Pittsburgh Plate Glass operated their Jacksonville plant until 1977. Today, the industrial building is used as an event space known as The Glass Factory.
633 Myrtle Avenue was initially utilized by a number of businesses including Flynn-Harris-Bullard Company (naval stores factors and wholesale grocers), Indiana Flour Company, Gorman Supply Company (plumbing supplies), and the All State Pipe Supply Company. In recent years, it was a production facility, biergarten and tap room for the Engine 15 Brewing Company.
This 12,775 square foot building at 546 Myrtle Avenue was completed in 1950.
This building opened in 1928 as the Jax Service Station at 568 Myrtle Avenue.
Now called the Big D Building Center was established by DeWitt C. Dawkins as the Dawkins Building Supply Company in 1921. In 1929, it relocated to its present site at Myrtle Avenue and Beaver Street. The two story Big D building hugging the corner of Myrtle Avenue and Beaver Streets was originally constructed as retail storefronts in 1909. During LaVilla’s early years, the intersection of Beaver Street and Myrtle Avenue was a walkable retail district. Charles J. Kowkanhany operated the C. K. Department Store on the first floor of this building for many years. Eventually becoming the C.K. Liquor Store, it relocated to the southeast corner of the intersection in 1968.
The 26,912 square feet Beaver Street Enterprise Center, Jacksonville’s first full-service business incubator, opened at 1225 Blanche Street in 2003.
1201 Beaver Street dates back to 1928. Featuring four apartment units on the second floor, the first floor was occupied by Tony Cattar & Sons grocery in 1930.
In 1975, 18.3 acres of LaVilla was razed for the construction of the United States Postal Service’s mail center at 1100 Kings Road. The 576,578 square foot facility replaced a smaller facility at the old Jacksonville Terminal complex that once processed 80 percent of the state’s mail.
Located at 1198 West Church Street, the Annointed Church of God was designed and built by early Black architect and contractor, James Edwards Hutchins. It was originally constructed for the Zion Hope Baptist Church.
Shiloh Metropolitan Baptist Church began as a mission of Bethel Baptist in 1875. The church’s original location was in the heart of LaVilla’s red light district. James Weldon Johnson’s father served as the pastor of this congregation from the late 1880s to 1901. Under the leadership of A.B. Coleman, Sr., Shiloh located to its current site in 1953. In 2002, a 5,000 seat state-of-the-art sanctuary was constructed on the site.
The Evergreen Missionary Baptist Church is located at 1100 Logan Street.