Tampa-based GNP Development Partners, LLC. intends to transform the former Jacksonville Jewish Center complex at 3rd and Silver Streets into a 78-unit mixed-use apartment complex. In addition to new infill construction, GNP plans to re-use existing historic contributing on the 2.13-acre site overlooks Klutho Park. The residential unit mix will include 400 to 1,000 square foot efficiencies, 500 to 1,000 square foot one bedroom and +750 square foot, two bedroom apartments. Overall, Springfield Lofts will consist of five building types, ranging between 32 and 45 feet in height, with multiple floor plans.
The largest involves the adaptive reuse of an existing 40,300 square foot building into 34 residential units and 5,400-square-feet of ground floor commercial space. The commercial space will face Klutho Park and include an elevated outdoor plaza. Immediately to the west, an existing dentist office will be demolished and replaced with a new 8,800 square foot, 45-foot high building with 9 residential dwelling units. Facing Pearl Street, a 13,000-square-foot, 35-foot tall building with 15 residential units will be added, while an existing dormitory on Silver Street will be converted into 16 apartment units. The final structure will be constructed at the northwest corner of West 3rd and Silver Streets. It will contain 4 residential units above 2,600 square feet of retail. The total amount of retail/office space will be around 8,000-square-feet. Restrictions on commercial uses include no sale or consumption of hard liquor and hours of operation between 7:00 am and 10:00 pm.
Proposed outdoor amenities include plaza areas, pavilions, kitchen and swimming pool. 86 on-site parking spaces will be situated in the rear of the property and include vacated alleys between the various parcels being combined for the infill development. GNP Development Partners, LLC. acquired the historic site earlier this year for $100,000. Once the project breaks ground, construction is anticipated to take 12 to 24 months.
Springfield’s Jacksonville Jewish Center was originally built in 1927. By 1959, the complex had expanded to include a two-story main sanctuary, a chapel, library, social hall, school, playground, auditorium/gymnasium, banquet facility, bridal lounge, meeting rooms and offices. In January 1976, the synagogue relocated to Mandarin. Between 1979 and 2005, the Jacksonville Job Corps used the site as a center to train and educate high school dropouts. In April 2011, the main sanctuary was destroyed by fire.
GNP’s project is the latest of a rapidly growing list of multifamily developments nearing groundbreaking in Jacksonville’s urban core neighborhoods. Other projects include Broadstone River House, East San Marco, The District, Lofts of LaVilla, Jefferson Street Manor, Elena Flats, 200 Riverside and St. Johns Village.
<h1>PAGE 2: Development Plan Tour</h1>
Article by Ennis Davis, AICP. Contact Ennis at firstname.lastname@example.org