Completed in 1926, the Tampa Theatre was the first commercial building in the city to offer air conditioning. Restored in 1978, the theater was a national model of how to save an endangered theater at a time when many similar grand structures in aging downtowns across the country were being razed.
North Franklin Street, just north of East Polk Street.
The intersection of North Franklin Street and East Polk Street.
The S.H. Kress and Company building was constructed in 1928. The building has been vacant since the store closed in 1981.
Looking east along East Cass Street from North Franklin Street.
Starbucks Coffee at the intersection of North Franklin Street and East Cass Street. The coffee shop occupies a ground level retail space in the 23-story Nine15 luxury apartment tower.
Walking west on East Cass Street, just west of North Franklin Street.
Once neglected and in need of repair, Herman Massey Park at 1002 North Franklin Street, has since been converted into a dog park.
The Tampa Harness and Wagon Company Building was constructed in 1893.
The Tampa Postcard Mural just east of North Franklin Street on Royal Street.
The Arlington Condominiums on North Franklin Street.
Article by Ennis Davis, AICP. Contact Ennis at email@example.com