Historic Third Ward
The Historic Third Ward emerged during the late 19th century as a wholesale district. An area where Irish immigrants were early settlers, it was once known as the “Bloody Third”, due to it being the location of frequent fistfights.
Designated as a National Register Historic District in 1984, the Historic Third Ward is known for its collection of art galleries, restaurants, bars, and lofts located in its collection of architecturally significant historic commercial and industrial buildings.
Milwaukee Public Market
Completed in 2005, the $10 million Milwaukee Public Market was designed upon inspiration from Seattle’s Pike Place Market. Designed by The Kubala Washatko Architects, the space is primarily leased to local food businesses.
Once the focus of local industry, the Milwaukee River has become a popular destination for recreation, adaptive reuse and infill mixed-use development.
Looking north towards downtown along Water Street
Established in 1974, the Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design (MIAD) is located in the Jane Bradley Pettit Building. Built in 1920, the struture was originally known as the Milwaukee Terminal Building.
Looking north towards downtown along North Broadway
Looking west along East Chicago Street.