About Brunswick Old Town Historic District
Named in honor of Britain’s House of Hanover during the reign of King George II, Hanover Square is one of two large intact squares in Old Town Brunswick.
Named after the German duchy of Brunswick–Lüneburg, the ancestral home of the House of Hanover, it was proclaimed by President George Washington as one of the five original ports of entry for the thirteen colonies. Also, known for Brunswick stew, a tomato-based stew containing various types of lima beans, corn, okra, and other vegetables, and one or more types of meat, the city was once called “The Shrimp Capital of the World” when it was the center of Georgia’s shrimping industry.
Platted in 1771, the original plan of Brunswick was laid out in a grid featuring several large public squares at given intervals. Over time, the original portion of the city, which had its own electric streetcar line between 1911 and 1926, became known as “Old Town.” On April 26, 1979, the Brunswick Old Town Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places. Today, the Brunswick Old Town Historic District is known for its preserved historic architecture, mature coastal Georgia landscape, boutique shops, galleries and restaurants.
Brunswick Old Town Historic District Photo Tour
Running parallel to the East River, Newcastle Street is Old Town Brunswick’s most intact historic commercial corridor.
Queen Square is named in honor of the queens of England. It is the only true square in the downtown commercial district.
Old Brunswick City Hall is a Richardsonian Romanesque style structure that was completed in 1889. It occupies the southeastern portion of Queen Square.
The Silver Bluff Brewing Company is a 10,000-square-foot production brewery, beer garden, and taproom located at 1325 Newcastle Street.
Named after Sir Joseph Jekyll, Jekyll Square was originally called “Jekyll Place.”
Originally named Machen Place, Machen Square is the northernmost square in Old Town Brunswick.
The Historic Ritz Theatre was originally built in 1899 as an opera house. Later converted into a movie palace, it was acquired by the city of Brunswick in 1980. Today, the venue plays host to live performances, movie screenings and other events.