Boone Park dates back to 1926 when the City of Jacksonville acquired donated land from five property owners, including William Elijah Boone. A grand nephew of Daniel Boone, William Elijah Boone was born in Thomasville, GA and moved to Fernandina in the early 1880s where he worked for the Florida Transit Railroad. Shortly after relocating to Jacksonville in 1884, he went into the railroad business for himself as a locomotive contractor. Leasing rebuilt locomotives to industries throughout the region, his Boone’s Terminal Company locomotive shops were located at 1700 West Church Street in LaVilla.
Over the years, the popular park has been used for many major public tournaments. However, it’s mostly known for its mature tree canopy, foot bridges and winding pathways. Here is a look at Riverside/Avondale’s Boone Park.