Longtime Local Businesses
Above: Live crabs inside West Beaver Street’s Premier Meat & Seafood Market. A business base dominated by longtime local businesses is a strong unique characteristic of both Jacksonville’s Rail Yard District and Pittsburgh’s Strip District.
8. Dating back to 1912, the Robert Wholey & Company is a prominent fish market and grocery store in the Strip District.
10. Parma Sausage Products, Inc. is a small family business that has produced Italian pork products since 1954. In addition to the factory, the company operates a store on Penn Avenue.
11. Roland’s Seafood Grill has been located at 1904 Penn Avenue since 1959.
12. Reyna Foods is a Mexican grocery wholesaler and retailer on Penn Avenue.
13. The original Primanti Brothers Restaurant & Bar on 18th Street between Smallman Street and Penn Avenue. Known for its signature sandwiches, Primanti Brothers is a chain of sandwich shops that originated in the Strip District in 1933.
14. The Pennsylvania Macaroni Company is an Italian import store that stocks more than 5,000 hard-to-find imported Italian and specialty food products. The company began as a pasta business in 1902.