Durkeeville: South of West 8th Street
Adjacent to LaVilla and several industrial companies along the former Seaboard Air Line Railroad, the section of Durkeeville generally south of West 8th Street, was largely developed by 1930. While the Barnett’s Subdivision was the most significant plat, smaller subdivisions in the vicinity included Wolfes Subdivision, Hilderbrant Subdivision, Millers Addition, Vances Subdivision, Replat of West Jacksonville Annex, and Jacksons Subdivision.
The Oaks at Durkeeville development is located between Myrtle Avenue and the S-Line Urban Greenway (former SAL Railroad). The original 215-unit Durkeeville public housing complex opened for occupancy in 1937, as a project built under the Public Works Administration. The old projects were replaced by The Oaks at Durkeeville in 1999, as Florida’s first redevelopment under the HOPE VI program.
The development, in the heart of Durkeeville, consists of 164 apartments, 28 market-rate single family homes, and a 36-unit senior living facility featuring retail space along Myrtle Avenue. Shortly after its completion, the development was identified by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development as one of the top public housing projects in the country for bringing new businesses to a neighborhood.