Yellow Bluff Fort Historic State Park
In 1861, General Robert E. Lee ordered the development of defenses along the coast to protect vital supply routes within Florida. This included the construction of earthworks at Yellow Bluff. However, shortly after the fort’s completion, it was taken over by Union troops in 1862. In 1864, several Black Union regiments were stationed at Yellow Bluff, including the 54th Massachusetts, 8th U.S. Colored Troops and 34th U.S. Colored Troops. Still largely intact, the site was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1970.
New Berlin is home to two historic cemeteries, the New Berlin and Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church Cemeteries. The oldest burials date back to 1854. Still active, the burial grounds include the final resting place of a son of former State of Florida Governor Napoleon Bonaparte Broward. A chain link fence separates the two cemeteries.
Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church Cemetery
New Berlin Cemetery
Surrounded by JAXPORT terminals, New Berlin retains its 19th century sense of place. Here, many residential streets are narrow paths that are still unpaved.
Walking east on Lowery Street
Driving south on Irving Road
Walking west on Frederick Street
4422 Apollo Avenue was completed in 1894.
Article by Ennis Davis, AICP. Contact Ennis at firstname.lastname@example.org