Trevato Development Group plans to break ground on an adaptive reuse project in the Brooklyn neighborhood that will convert 339 and 301 Park Street into Jacksonville’s first food hall.
Plans have yet to be presented to the Downtown Development Review Board for approval, but as told to the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC) the group is roaring forward with plans to convert the former Trophy Center and former Catlin Studebaker buildings into a sprawling complex with full service anchor restaurants, indoor food stalls with communal seating, an outdoor beer garden/dining courtyard, and a flex space for temporary vendors.
The one-story masonry building at 339 Park Street that formery housed Trophy Center is an example of masonry vernacular architecture. Masonry vernacular takes influences from Spanish, art deco and modern styles. The building was originally constructed in 1945 for $15,000 for the General Engineering Company. Later, the building was occupied by Tempaco Wholesale Heating Supply, and most recently as The Trophy Center until 2009. Trevato-related holding companies purchased the 6,056 square foot building, which sits on over 42,000 square feet of land, for $750,000 in 2016.
339 Park Street today
339 Park Street in the 1970’s (City of Jacksonville)
The one-story former Catlin Studebaker building at 301 Park Street is another example of masonry vernacular architecture. It was originally constructed in 1924 at a cost of $12,000 for Boen Motor Company; an addition was constructed the following year at a cost of $1,250. William Catlin and son William Catlin Jr. remodeled the building in 1945 in order to open a Studebaker dealership. They dropped the Studebaker Packard franchise in 1957 and moved the operation to 2nd and Main Street in Springfield, where the family still operates a truck accessory business today. In 2016, the Catlin family sold the Brooklyn building to Trevato-related holding companies for $390,000.
301 Park Street today
301 Park Street in the 1950’s (Catlin and Sons)
301 Park Street in the 1970’s (City of Jacksonville)