6. 1139 Florida Avenue in 1968. Completed in 1894, in 1897 this was the residence of James W. White. White was the owner of the Journal of Commerce. In 1901, he had become the publisher of the Florida Fraternal Record.
1139 Florida Avenue in February 2019.
7. The Union Terminal Warehouse Company was built in 1912. Early industrial tenants included AM Grocery Company, Loose-Wiles Biscuit Company, and Whiddon’s Cash Stores. The warehouse was served by the Seaboard Air Line and St. Johns River Terminal Company railroads. The St. Johns River Terminal Company’s railroad line can be seen in the middle of Ionia Street in 1968 above.
Recently, Atlanta-based Columbia Ventures, LLC. purchased the warehouse. Columbia Ventures plans to invest as much as $30 million on the historic renovation of the 106-year-old property back to its original warehouse appearance. With a focus on the creative class and workforce housing, Columbia intends to retrofit the Union Terminal’s top three floors into residential and introduce a mix of commercial, retail and dining space on the ground floor. Construction could start in a year. With this in mind, here’s a look at the history of the site and a peak inside of the building.
The intersection of Van Buren and Oakley streets in 1968. This Gothic Revival influence frame church was built for the Pleasant Grove Primitive Baptist Church under the direction of Reverend K.D. Davis in 1908.
The northeast corner of Pippen and Franklin streets in 1968. The Mount Olive A.M.E. Church was designed by Richard L. Brown and built in 1922. Born into slavery, Brown eventually became Jacksonville’s first black architect. Below, the building today.