1. Annie R. Morgan Elementary School 964 St. Clair Street Demolition Estimate: $522,840
Located in Woodstock Park, Annie Morgan Elementary School (Public School No. 21) was completed in 1916. Woodstock Park is a neighborhood along West Beaver Street where heavy industry still flourishes with residential homes in close proximity. The Westside neighborhood dates back to the early 20th century as a result of Jacksonville’s rapid outward growth between the Great Fire of 1901 and World War I. Annie R. Morgan Elementary School was one of 12 schools funded by a $1 million bond issue approved by Duval County voters in 1915. Others included Annie Lytle, Central Riverside, Fishweir, Murray Hill (Ruth Upson), Brentwood, and South Jacksonville Grammar Schools. DCPS intends to close the school and demolish the structure at an estimated cost of $522,840 to avoid placing its redevelopment future in private hands.
2. Brentwood Elementary School 3750 Springfield Boulevard Demolition Estimate: $580,560
Placed on the market in 1913 by the Brentwood Realty Investment Company under president C.W. Bartleson the original Brentwood Subdivision was roughly defined by West 26th Street on the south, West 35th Street on the north, North Pearl Street on the east and North Davis Street on the west. In 1915 Brentwood Elementary School was built to serve the then rapidly growing Northside streetcar suburb. Located adjacent to historic Brentwood Park, DCPS intends to demolish the 104-year-old school building at an estimated cost of $580,560 to avoid to potential of leaving it in the hands of an entity that could find a new use for the space outside of its control.
3. Henry F. Kite Elementary School 9430 Lem Turner Road Demolition Estimate: $371,960
Four decades before Arlington became known as Jacksonville’s rapidly growing suburb, there was Riverview. Perched on hills and bluffs between the Trout and Ribault Rivers, Riverview is one of the few neighborhoods outside of the historic urban core that was designed to be every bit as walkable and grand as Riverside/Avondale, Springfield, and San Marco. In 1929, Riverview Elementary School opened to serve the growing community. Between 1930 and 1960, Henry F. Kite served as the school’s principal. After Kite’s retirement, the school was renamed in his honor in 1964. DCPS intends to close the elementary school, and despite its architectural character, it desires to raze the structure at an estimated cost of $371,960.