In 1952, 21 years after the annexation of South Jacksonville, the former Southside suburb still appeared to be a distinctive maritime oriented community.
Now split by three expressways, this former city has become two distinct urban neighborhoods; the Downtown Southbank and San Marco.
In 1952, the Downtown Northbank riverfront was dominated by shipping terminals, seafood markets and wharves.
By the 1960s, much of the Downtown Northank riverfront had been filled in for new public uses. In 2018 (pictured above), many of these mid-century and late 20th century public projects faced the wrecking ball. By the end of 2019, buildings such as the orange roofed Jacksonville Landing were no more.
In 1943, what would become Beach Boulevard was an abandoned FEC railroad corridor in Jacksonville Beach.
With 23,669 residents, Jacksonville Beach is the second largest municipality in Duval County.
In 1952, LaVilla was one of Jacksonville’s most dense and pedestrian friendly districts.
Largely razed in the 1990s, LaVilla is now characterized by its large number of vacant lots.