Southside Boulevard looking north towards the Humphries Gold Mining Company in 1956. Southside Boulevard was one of several highways developed during the 1950s and 60s by the Jacksonville Expressway Authority. In 1971, the Authority merged with the City Coach Company to form the Jacksonville Transportation Authority.
Southside Boulevard at Arlington Expressway in 1956. The Arlington Expressway is a part of State Road 115, which was developed by the Jacksonville Expressway Authority as an alternative to US 1 during the early 1950s. Prior to its construction, what is now known as Arlington, was a network of small rural communities by the names of Floral Bluff, Eggleston, Clifton, Chaseville, and Gilmore. It was an area known more for its moonshine stills than the ranch houses that line its streets today.
The Arlington Expressway at Southside Boulevard. Both highways are designated as a part of State Road 115. SR 115 was completed in 1963 and originally served as a northern bypass around the preconsolidated city of Jacksonville for US 1.
An aerial over the Arlington Plaza shopping center in 1957. Anchored by W.T. Grant, Arlington Plaza at Arlington Road was developed by Sam Morris Spevak in 1955. Spevak would go on to develop Jacksonville’s Gateway Shopping Center a few years later.
Aerial over Arlington Plaza shopping center in 1957. This picture captures the Arlington Expressway before grade separated interchanges were constructed to reduce accidents and congestion at Arlington Road and Cesery Boulevard during the 1960s.
Article by Ennis Davis, AICP. Contact Ennis at firstname.lastname@example.org