Located at 1312 Franklin Street, the former Triumph Church of Kingdom of God in Christ was built around 1940 by James Edwards Hutchins. Hutchins was born in Blakely, GA in 1890. Educated at Savannah State College, Hutchins worked as a carpenter with the Dawkins Building and Supply Company several years before establishing his own construction company in the 1930s. One of the few local African-American contractors that also designed their buildings, Hutchins is responsible for several Black churches and residences throughout Jacksonville. After World War II, Hutchins worked with the Veterans Administration to train African-American carpenters, brick masons and architects. Hutchins was also one of the owners of the Lincoln Golf and Country Club. In addition the Triumph Church of Kingdom of God in Christ, other churches designed and built by Hutchins include St. Paul A.M.E. Church, New Bethel A.M.E. Church, First Born Church of the Living God, Zion Hope, Emmanuel Baptist Church and the Second Missionary Baptist Church.
Representing a good example of the Late Gothic Revival architectural style, the Triumph Church of Kingdom of God in Christ was designed to include towers that frame the front entrance and the use of arched windows and door openings. The church was originally led by Rev. Arthur Lee Smith. Born in Hawkinsville, Georgia in 1908, Smith relocated from Miami’s Liberty City to Jacksonville with wife Eula May and daughter Inez during the late 1930s. For nearly seven decades, the church served as a pillar of pride for the Eastside community. In its later years, Prince Moses Criswell served as the church’s pastor. Today, the two story, 7,928 square foot structure, with a new roof, is listed for sale at the price of $110,000. Here is a look inside the former Triumph Church of Kingdom of God in Christ.