The Central Hotel
605 North Broad Street opened as the Central Hotel in 1912. One block north of Ashley Street, for many years it was a social landmark in LaVilla. In 1935, the Jacksonville Negro Welfare League occupied one of its storefronts. In 1947, the Jacksonville Negro Welfare League merged with a new Jacksonville branch of the National Urban League, officially becoming the Jacksonville Urban League. While it was one of the few buildings to survive Jacksonville’s 1990s Urban Renewal project known as the River City Renaissance, it was almost taken down by a building fire in recent years.
Today, the Clara White Mission is working to transform the structure into a mixed-use project that will include 4,600 square feet of street level office space and 16 apartments on the upper levels. Clara White Mission is also proposing new construction to the rear of the structure to house necessary ADA elevator and access facilities. The project is now known as the Beaver Street Villas.
NEXT PAGE: Beaver Street Villas Project Presentation
Seeking conceptual approval, on July 11, 2013 this presentation was presented to the Downtown Development Review Board (DDRB) as DDRB Application 2013-011. The applicant is proposing to refurbish the abandoned three story Center Hotel building located on the northwest corner of the intersection of Beaver and Broad Streets.
Update by Ennis Davis, AICP. Contact Ennis at email@example.com